Saturday, September 17, 2011

Fact Families

Teaching fact families has been better than ever this year! Normally I teach addition for a couple weeks, then subtraction for a couple weeks, but not this year. I decided that this year I needed to try something different. I taught addition for a week and subtraction for a week, then I taught fact families to merge the two together. Although the first day of fact families was rough, the kids actually understood the concept better than any other year I've taught. I was so excited and proud of my kiddos! One of the days, I had the kids split into two groups and work on these fact family rainbows that I made. I cut them and wrote the fact families on them, then I wrote the three numbers on the cloud and the kids put them together. There are about 22 of them that I made, so they had know the fact family to be able to use them.













The kids really enjoyed it, and now I have another center for them to work on when they need extra practice!

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Once I get this whole blogging thing down I will upload the document :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute!! Can't believe I'm just now discovering your darling blog! I'm your newest follower! :)

    Caitlin
    Ms. Preppy's Adventures in Primary and Polka Dots

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I am still getting the hang of things but I love sharing ideas!

    ReplyDelete